THERMOS User Case Studies
This report presents the work carried out by a group of THERMOS tool users for developing high efficiency energy projects with the software. It includes eight case studies illustrating the reason for their selection, the stakeholders involved, the information researched, the results obtained, and the conclusions reached for:
- Barrio La Pinada (Spain) evaluating the development of a new model of urban development.
- Bristol City Council (UK) assessing the extension of an existing heat network.
- The municipality of Granollers (Spain) simulating the construction and optimization of a new district heating network in the industrial complex of EcoCongost.
- The city of Kyivska (Ukraine) examining the integration of higher RES shares into an existing grid.
- Madrid Nuevo Norte (Spain) regenerating 300 hectares of land in the city, verifying heating and cooling could be covered with a 4th generation DHC network.
- Parc de l’Alba (Spain) analysing the extension of a DHC network to mixed buildings in the area.
- Salaspils (Latvia) evaluating THERMOS's speed and efficiency in identifying DHC expansion options.
- The city of Żywiec (Poland) analysing locations identified for an expansion of a DH network.
THERMOS Sustainable Adoption Roadmap
This Sustainable Adoption Roadmap (SAR) outlines the adoption of the THERMOS tool in the last few years by different energy stakeholders, and based on those experiences provides insights on how THERMOS can be used to achieve district heating and cooling planning related goals in policy, commercial and/or research applications by different stakeholders, as well as the tool's availability for the next three years.
Download the THERMOS Sustainable Adoption Roadmap here.
THERMOS Replication Guide
The THERMOS Replication Guide is meant to support the replication and wide
adoption of the THERMOS model across Europe. The document provides a high level of
guidance on exploiting the methodologies and tools developed during the project, with
special focus on the THERMOS Software. Moreover, it contains facts and advice for using the
THERMOS Software, as well as examples and lessons learnt from the THERMOS pilot and replication
cities’ experience of employing it.
Download the Guide here.
THERMOS City Case Studies
Download our THERMOS City Case Study Report designed to support cities in embedding the THERMOS tool in their local energy planning processes. THERMOS cities Jelgava (LV), Warsaw (PL), Granollers (ES), Cascais (PT), Alba Iulia (RO), Berlin (DE), London and Islington (UK) share their experiences to support replication by other local authorities. The report includes initial guidance on modelling case studies with the THERMOS Tool and describes, amongst others, the most relevant case studies selected by each of the cities, the stakeholders involved, the inputs included, the results obtained, and the conclusions reached.
THERMOS Baseline Replication Assessment Report
Download the THERMOS Baseline Replication Assessment Report, mapping out and assessing the national and local framework conditions for a successful adoption of the THERMOS software model in THERMOS cities.
Full report in pdf here. For chapters on individual cities visit our city profiles here.
Case Studies by THERMOS Trainers
- Eurométropole de Strasbourg: Assessing implications of a district heating network for the area of Lingolsheim, France (Dec 2019).
- SF2E - Manergy: Assessing feasibility and cost-effectiveness of a DHC network for Meylan, France (Dec 2019)
- ALL Ing ABATE: Development of a Heat Network for municipal buildings in San Lucido, Italy(Dec 2019)
- Filippo Capizzi, Greenfish Consultancy: Case study for a district heating network between Université libre de Bruxelles and a residential area in Brussels, Belgium (June 2020)
THERMOS Pitch Book
Better Planning for better results with THERMOS - Advance your thermal district energy planning and support the decarbonisation of heating and cooling in towns and cities across Europe with the THERMOS pitch book.
The THERMOS pitch is supporting THERMOS Ambassadors, Partners, Trainers, Users and other stakeholders in presenting the THERMOS tool and highlighting the importance of heating and cooling for the local (and European) energy transition to a broader audience. Supported by facts and figures on air quality, energy efficiency and state-of-the-art energy planning with the THERMOS software, the pitch is compiles all the arguments needed to adopt THERMOS for optimising district energy in your city.
Download the presentation (based on a previous software version) in EN and PL (updated in Dec 20), DA, DE, ES, LV, RO, PT, CAT.
* If you want to use this presentation, reference and credit the THERMOS H2020 project and indicate any changes you made to the original text or pictures.
THERMOS Innovation Catalogue
Download the full Innovation Catalogue with all 14 case studies as a pdf in EN here.
Skim through a teaser with a selection of cases below.
Marko Aunedi, Antonio Marco Pantaleo, Kamal Kuriyan, Goran Strbac, Nilay Shah,
"Modelling of national and local interactions between heat and electricity networks in low-carbon energy systems", in Applied Energy, vol 276, 2020.
Steffen Nielsen, Jakob Zinck Thellufsen, Peter Sorknæs, Søren Roth Djørup, Karl Sperling, Poul Alberg Østergaard, Henrik Lund, "Smart Energy Aalborg: Matching End-Use Heat Saving Measures and Heat Supply Costs to Achieve Least Cost Heat Supply", vol 25, 2020.
Lars Grundahl, Steffen Nielsen, "Heat atlas accuracy compared to metered data", vol 23, 2019.
Kamal Kuriyan, Nilay Shah, "A combined spatial and technological model for the planning of district energy systems", International Journal of Sustainable Energy Planning and Management, vol 21, 2019.
X. Zhang, G. Strbac, N. Shah, F. Teng and D. Pudjianto, "Whole-System Assessment of the Benefits of Integrated Electricity and Heat System," in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1132-1145, Jan. 2019.
K. Kuriyan and N. Shah, "A combined spatial and technological model for the planning of
district energy systems," in International Journal of Sustainable Energy Planning and Management, vol. 21, pp.111-131, 2019.
THERMOS Leaflet (pdf) - Leaflet small
Also available in the following languages: DA ES LV RO PL PT DE
Sign up to our Newsletter to be the first to be informed when we publish!